Pages

Friday, August 20, 2010

Nut Brown Nuttiness

People come in all the time and ask me, "What's your favorite beer?"  I usually tell them that it changes all the time.  On different days, I like different styles. 

One of the beers here that I'm particularly proud of is the Nut Brown.  Problem is, I'm one of the only ones!  During the summer, it moves very slowly.

If you've paid attention to the beer board outside the brewhouse, you'll see that most beers on tap have been there for a month or less.  This is by design.  I like to keep beer here a maximum of one month.  We do not use any kinds of preservatives or pasteurization.  After about 90 days or so, the beer can start to taste "old".

To account for this, I will make smaller batches of the slower movers.  This is exactly what I did for my last batch of nut brown.  I scaled back a 7 barrel batch all the way down to a four barrel.  This amount should surely be gone in a month, no?

NO!

Two days ago, I received a keg order for four half-barrels of Nut Brown!  Like that, half of my Nut Brown was gone in one hour's time. 

So, the scramble begins to get another batch brewed  before the current one runs out. 

People ask me what my normal hours are.  Mwahh--ha--haaaaa!  Normal hours?  If you stop in tomorrow, pop your head in the brewhouse and say "hi".  I'll be brewing up your Nut Brown Ale.

No comments:

Post a Comment