Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Back In The States

I returned to Wisconsin on Monday to a brewhouse that was in very good shape, thanks to Natalie.  The Envy IPA is selling well and has gotten some very favorable comments from guests. 

Prior to leaving for the USA, I had been tinkering in my home brewhouse back in Germany.  I've got two batches of Altbier and one Helles in the tanks.  I've experimented a little with mash temperatures from one batch of Alt to the next, so it will be interesting to compare the two.

I also spent another brew session with Braumeister Bernhard and we discussed mash and fermentation temps, and other brewing miscellany.  He also arranged with the Bischoff Brewery for me to meet their Brewmaster.  It didn't work out with my last return, as the brewery shut down operations for a couple of weeks, as they do every year following the New Year.  Apparently, the Bischoff Braumeister requested that I bring some of the SFB beer back with me for him to try.  I may bring some Doppelbock as it's the closest thing I have to a German lager on tap.  I'll also bring some Kolsch to see what he thinks. 

It's great to be back, though.  I brewed up a big Scotch Strong Ale yesterday which may near 10% ABV.  Today, I'm brewing up an E.S.B. using imported British Malts (Crisp Maris Otter) as the base malt and a little Caramel 60 for color and some flaked corn--an abomination by German standards, but it's a British beer and those guys will throw anything in the vat!  I'm also using a special strain of yeast from the Timothy Taylor Brewery in England which emphasises the malt flavors but finishes dry.  A healthy dose of Hallertauer, Perle and Goldings hops round out this beer. 

Stop on in for some Doppelbock before it's gone, and stop by to say "hi". 

No comments:

Post a Comment