Pages

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Weizen#$*@!

It sounds a little like weizenbock.

Brewing it today.  It's about 48% wheat.

A little lesson to folks new to brewing:  The rest of you may talk amongst yourselves.

Malted wheat has no husk, as opposed to barley which keeps its husk during the malting process.  The husk is great because it acts as a natural filter in the mash tun and helps keep the wort free-flowing and clear.  When you use a large percentage of wheat, you do not get the benefits of the husk.  Also, wheat contains gelatinous proteins which make the mash stiff and gummy.  To counter this, many brewers (myself included) will add rice hulls to the mash as a "substitute husk".  If you don't do this, you can experience a slow or "stuck" mash.  Basically, it becomes so thick, that the wort cannot flow through it very well, if at all.

Lesson over.  Sure, I added rice hulls, but apparently not enough!  This is one of the slowest sparges ever.

Plus, based on the size of this batch, and the weight of the grain, I think my conversion was down significantly.  This means, I'm not sure I got the most of the "good stuff" that I want out of the grain.

I seldom get mad at work.  A bad day brewing is always better than a good day at work.  However, my patience may be tested today.....

More to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment