Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Going Nuts. A Pictorial Essay.

At Firkin Fest last week, I debuted the cask-conditioned Toasted Coconut Brown Ale.  I had no idea how it would turn out. 

I also fully intended to have enough left over to put it on tap at the brewery when the festival was over.

No dice.  The crowd at the fest pretty much drained the cask.

So, I thought I'd make up another cask of it.  Here's some of the prepwork involved:

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts!
Drill a 3/8" hole through one of the "eyes".
Drain the coconut milk, reserving it.
2 1/2 cups of milk from three coconuts.  Not too shabby!

Bust those bad boys open.  A few taps does the trick.

Scrape the meat from the shell.  A spoon works well. 
The meat will have a tough, brown coat that should be peeled.

All peeled and ready for processing.

The shredder attachment on our Cuisinart makes short work of it.

Toast in a 350 degree F oven for about 20 minutes. 
Check/toss it every now and again.
The aroma is outstanding.
While it's toasting, simmer the milk in a saucepan for about
ten minutes. 

And, here's what three coconuts will yield.



No comments:

Post a Comment