Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Fun with Firkins!

Part of the joy of cask conditioned ale is the experimental aspect.

I changed up the Mariner Nut Brown ale a bit, and have replaced it with what I'm calling the Brighton Brown.  This is a Southern English Brown Ale.  It differs from the Mariner in that it is sweeter and maltier. 

I also decided to make up a cask of the Brighton and I got a little crazy. 

I went to Pick 'n Save and bought three coconuts.  I got about one cup of coconut milk from them which I boiled for a few minutes to sterilize it.  Then I shredded the coconut meat and toasted it in the oven.  I then put all the coconut into a firkin along with the milk, to which I added some priming sugar.  Finally, I filled the firkin with Brighton Brown Ale. 

It is presently third in line for tapping.  Currently we have the "Primus Pilus" IPA (an extra-hopped version of the Dark Lord IPA) and the yet-to-be-cleverly?-named Raspberry Weisse on deck.

No comments:

Post a Comment