Pages

Monday, June 6, 2011

The Belgian Inversion

No, this has nothing to do with the Beatles or the Stones.

If you've been following my blog for some time, you may recall:  http://stfrancisbrewery.blogspot.com/2010/06/saison-day.html

Yes, I'm brewing the Summer Night Saison again, and yes, I am still inverting the sugar myself.

But let's digress, shall we?

Many of you may never see me.  I tend to get to the Brewery early, get the job done, and leave.  However, my absence from the brewery does not necessarily mean I am not working.  For example, sometimes I am representing the St. Francis Brewery at local festivals:

This was from the World of Beer event put on by the Beer Barons of Milwaukee every year. 
Sometimes my workday is much more demure.  Tonight I was inverting sugar for my planned Saison.  To refresh your memories, Belgian beers often call for Belgian Candi Syrup.  This is a fancy way of describing inverted sugar. 

So what is inverted sugar?  Easy.  Table sugar is sucrose.  The Belgian monks found that yeast had an easier time eating a simpler form of sugar.  So, by taking simple table sugar, mixing it with a little water, bringing it to a boil, and adding a little acid (in my case, citric acid), you can break sucrose into two simpler sugars:  glucose and fructose.  Yeast has an easier time eating these simpler sugars.  You can see the steps here:
This is simply sugar mixed with water.
Once it boils and the acid is added, you can see how it clears up.


 

Last year's Saison was a learning experience for me.  Saisons call for bitter orange peel in the brew.  Last year, I tossed the orange peel into the brew kettle thinking they would whirlpool out nicely.  Unfortunately, they didn't.  I ended up clogging my heat exchanger with little pieces of orange peel.  This year, I'll pull about a gallon of wort and boil the orange peel separate from the main boil, strain it, and then reintroduce it to the main boil.

No comments:

Post a Comment