Pages

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

No Worries, Mate!

I just finished up the porter.  Thanks to Sous Chef Greg, I took an unplanned tack. 

Initially I was just going to dump the cocoa into the brew kettle.  Greg suggested I mix it with water before adding it.  Instead I drew off buckets of hot wort and whisked in the cocoa.  Then I added it back to the brew kettle.  Finally, I whirlpooled the whole thing for about 10 minutes before transferring to the fermentation tank.

I think it went well.  A fair amount of cocoa was left behind in the brew kettle, but a lot made it to the fermenter.  The heat exchanger didn't clog, and it cleaned up easily afterward.

My yield will be a little less than I would hope for, but I'm not going to filter this ale, so that will help my final yield.

The numbers turned out slightly higher than I was shooting for, but if I erred on the right side.  It just means the ABV will be a little higher than anticipated, and our customers don't seem to mind that!

No comments:

Post a Comment