Pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

Christmas Ale 2010

As I mentioned earlier, this year's Christmas Ale will be a chocolate hazlenut porter. 

I've never done a porter on a commercial scale, so this one will be interesting.  It also has to potential to be promblematic.

In addition to six different malts, I am also using unsweetened cocoa powder:


"So Scott, what's the problem?" 

Well, there could be several: 

Number one, I'm dumping most of this right into the brewkettle.  This will allow it to mix well with the wort and sanitize it.  But, it can make a layer of chocolately sludge that will turn the inside of my heat exchanger into an M&M.

Number two, if you've ever tasted unsweetened cocoa, you know how bitter it is.  This will add an astringency to the beer which I hope will mellow with time and be balanced by the malt.

Number three, there is fat in the cocoa.  Fats play havoc with head retention in beer.  This is the least of my worries.

As for the hazlenut--I picked up some natural extract from a local ingredient company.  It smells wonderful, but a little goes a long way, and it will be very easy to ruin this batch.  Therefore, I will have to add a little at a time in the fermenter and taste test each addition.  Actually, this part of it doesn't sound too bad!

The tapping of this ale will occur on December 15th.  Unlike its predecessor, you will be able to take home growlers for your Holiday parties.


No comments:

Post a Comment