Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

And Even More Time To Kill

a.k.a.  Layover-induced market research.

With three hours before my connection from Philly to O'Hare, I decided to stop in at the airport bar that's right next to my gate.  How convenient!

I'm at the Jet Rock Bar and Grill.  When visiting cities outside my own, I make it a point to try some of the local craft beers.  Today I tried a Rye IPA from the Dock Street brewery.  It was tasty--didn't get a lot of the rye, but it did have a bit of that characteristic spiciness. Orangeish-red hue with a slight haze.  Nice malty backbone with a big punch of grapefruit from the hops.  It's on the bigger side:  6.8% abv.  I may try making one of these back at the Brewery.

Next up was the Brawler Pugilist Style Ale  (I guess breweries are making up their own styles these days).  It's a brown ale.  Nice dark copper color--most likely filtered as it's crystal clear.  No head.  No lacing.  Super-light with an all-malt presence.  4.2%abv.

I spoke with my bartender, Alice and asked her what craft beers sell the best.  They have about 25 craft beers on tap.  Alice said the hoppier ones tend to sell best:  Victory Hop Devil, Yard's Pale Ale, Harpoon IPA, etc.  I also noticed that many of their beers fall in the <5% area.

Any bar manager or brewery owner (who's NOT the Brewmaster) loves the low abv beers because they're cheaper to make.  For me, I like to know I'm drinking a beer.  It's not that I purposely brew beers that are higher in alcohol.  Rather, I like to brew beer that's higher in flavor.  The higher abv just happens to be a pesky by-product.

Unfortunately, these bigger beers tend to be less "sessionable". 

So, let me ask you.  Would you like to see more lower abv beers at SFB?  There are valid arguements on both sides. 

Send me an email:  brewmaster@stfrancisbrewery.com and let me know.  I read all emails and respond to most.

1 comment:

  1. absolutely not. more flavorful and higher abv beers may be less sessionable, but those are the beers that will keep people coming back for more

    ReplyDelete