Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

While The World Slept

At least it seemed that way!

My Germany brewing experience continued in the form of a call from my newest freund Bernhard.  "Scott, I am brewing Monday.  Would you like to join me?" 
"Of course!  When should I meet you?"
"Can you be at Kaiserslautern at 4:00 am?"
"Ummm.  Yes?"

And so it was.

I met Bernhard at the appointed place, at the ungodly hour, and he packed me up into his car.  It was at this point that I learned that Bernhard is the Brewmaster for not one, but two Bischoff brewpubs, and we were going to the other in Frankenthal. 

I had no chance to consider my fatigue.  As we entered the Autobahn, my adrenaline flowed as we reached speeds in excess of 115 mph!  It was nothing to a seasoned veteran like Bernhard, but save an airplane or perhaps a roller coaster, I have never gone that fast.

Anyway, we arrived at Frankenthal and set upon brewing his Hell.  Again, a very simple recipe:  One type of malt.  One hop.  Bernhard is not one to be burdened by scales.  How much malt?  Oh, four and a half bags.

The malt was dumped through a cool trap door in the floor to the mill below:

From there, a grist elevator took the cracked malt straight to the mash tun.  The equipment at this location was exactly the same as the previous, however the layout was different.

The process was also very automated--same as last time.

As this was our second meeting, our comfort level with each other had increased and we discussed a variety of topics:  family life, politics, European economy, fishing, the direction of brewing in Germany, cabbages and kings.

Bernhard also showed me his other toy at this location:

Yes, this place also has a distilling license.  This copper-clad still is used to produce a variety of alcohols--whisky, brandy and a whiskey made from strong brewed beer.  Bernhard's whiskeys are aged in oak barrels for over a year, giving them a slightly brown color.  Alcohol runs about 40% abv.

It was another nice day. 

I'll be back in the states for ten days starting next week to take back SFBs reins and debut this year's Doppelbock.  Afterwards, when I get back to Germany, Bernhard is going to make the arrangements for me to spend some time with the Brewmasters of Bischoff Brewery.  He also mentioned a beer festival which involves the shooting and butchery of a wild boar.  How could I possibly turn that down?

1 comment: