Pages

Monday, October 18, 2010

What is Harvest Strong?

Heck if I know.

This begs the question, how do I come up with recipes? 

Well, for our house beers, I inherited them from the previous brewer.  I did tweak a few here and there, but for the most part, the grain and hop bills are the same.

For the seasonals, often I will search for recipes and when I find one that looks good, I will adapt it for our brewery.  I never copy recipes verbatim.  I'd rather substitute one or more malts, or change up the hop varieties, and come up with something similar, but unique.

My next seasonal, the Harvest Strong, is more of an ideal.  A notion, if you will.  I want to create a beer that encapsulates the feeling of this time of the year--the autumnal colors, the scent burning leaves, the coolness in the air, sipping a spiced cider by your fireplace.  Sort of a romantic air that goes along with my favorite season--Autumn.

The Harvest Strong will hopefully inspire those feelings.  It contains seven different malts, including smoked malt.  It will be a brownish-orange hued ale.  I will use a Belgian yeast strain which will give it some complex, spicy characters.  It will also come in at close to 10% alcohol, so it will certainly warm you on a cold night.

Look forward to sampling this ale mid-November.

No comments:

Post a Comment