Pages

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

"Test Brewing" this week.

When I first interviewed for a Brewer's Assistant internship years back, the Brewmaster had a lot of questions for me.  Finally, he asked if I had any questions and I had one.  "Do you still homebrew?"

The answer was, "no".

That answer always bothered me.  I liken it to the cab driver who hates to drive, or the professional chef who hates cooking at home.  I don't understand it.

I still homebrew.  I also get the opportunity to test brew batches of beer to see if they will be commercially viable.  We're talking very small batches--5 to 10 gallons.  Will the results be the same as a commercial size?  Not exactly, but pretty darn close. 

Though I've never been a huge fan of stouts, I really like a good porter.  Therefore, I'm going to test brew a molasses porter this week.  The recipe is a tweaking of a brown porter I found, but I am going to include a new seasonal malt from Briess called Carabrown--it adds a toasty, graham cracker taste to the beer.  It will also include molasses which I've never used in brewing, but I'm interested in trying it out. 

If it's decent, you may see it on the beer board down the road.

In the meantime, stop on in for a Saison.  Next week I'll brew next month's seasonal--"Givum Helles".  More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment