Pages

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Givum Helles!

If you've been following my blog, you may remember this post

Well, I kegged and carbonated the Helles and it was excellent.  I served it at a surprise birthday party for my wife and five gallons was gone in about 1 1/2 hours.

I decided this will be the St. Francis Seasonal for the month of August.  Additionally, the yeast I'm using will be the same one I'll use for the Oktoberfest, so I'll have plenty of yeast when I brew it later this month.

Helles (pronounced Hell-us) is a German Light Lager--similar to a Pilsener, but not nearly as hoppy.  It's a clean, malty beer.  In fact, the Germans were getting nervous with the popularity of the Czech Pilsener style so they came up with this as a competitor.

This beer will debut for the Mug Club on August 11.

Speaking of Oktoberfest, this year's Oktoberfest will be an all-out celebration.  We're talking tents, dirndl-wearing wenches, polka bands, sausages, and lots of delicious Oktoberfest bier to wet your whistles.  More on this will follow, but mark your calendars for September 25th!!

No comments:

Post a Comment