Pages

Saturday, April 14, 2012

On Guinness, Whisky and Dublin in General

So, the family and I just completed day three of a six-day sojourn to the Emerald Isle.

We flew in last Thursday afternoon, caught the shuttle to our hotel, grabbed some dinner and a handful of tourist brochures and decided what we were going to do.  Once we got to the room, there was only a king sized bed, though our reservation was for two doubles.  A quick check of my wife's "Gold Club" status netted us a two bedroom suite on the top floor for no extra charge.  Bonus!

We've had good luck with the hop-on/hop-off bus tours that many major cities offer, so we opted for Dublin's.  Also, we booked a tour of Dublin's South Coast which we're seeing Sunday morning.

So, between yesterday and today, we've toured Guinness, seen the Book of Kells at Trinity College, toured St. Patrick's Cathedral and have eaten at The Porterhouse and Mssr. McGuires--two brewpubs that were recommended to me by a former Irish Brewmaster boss.  I also tried my first authentic Shepherd's Pie and Jameson Whisky.

Here are some observations:

1.  I don't really like Guinness.  I didn't like Guinness back in the States.  Everyone always said, "you have to try it in Ireland--it is so much different."  Well, they're right.  It is different.  And, I still don't like it.  However, the brewery tour is the bomb, if for nothing else than the display on cooperage.  I highly recommend it.

2.  I'm not much of a spirits drinker, but Jameson whisky is absolutely delicious.  Reminds me a lot of the Basil Hayden bourbon I enjoy from time to time back home.

3.  On an individual basis, the Irish are a wonderful and friendly people.  On a crowded street, however, it's every person for themself.

4.  When the sun is out, the weather is warm.  As soon as it clouds up, the temp drops like a rock and you may be subject to short, sporadic bursts of rain.  Thankfully, they have all been short-lived.

5.  There are Seventeen Centuries of history here, but a lot of it has been forgotten or ignored, as Ireland was not a part of the Roman Empire.  The pagans were washed from history and the Vikings replaced a lot of the history with their own. 

6.  St. Patrick and Johnathan Swift are two interesting fellows about whom I will be investigating further.

Anyway, here is my largely superficial synopsis of Dublin.  More to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment