Pages

Friday, December 23, 2011

So, How's Germany?

That's sort of like asking someone who has lived in Bayfield for two weeks, "How's Wisconsin?"

I understand the reason for asking, though, so I can offer up some first impressions. 

I've never been to Seattle, but I think the weather is similar here.  Very gray, daily rain, occasional breaks in the clouds.  It's not overly cold, but it is windy.

There is a definite language barrier.  Most Germans have a working knowledge of English, and I can fake enough German to get by, but in large crowds or in restaurants it's all German.  It's an odd feeling having people speaking all around you and you can't understand most of what they say. 

I've been listening to a German Top 40-ish radio station here.  Almost all the songs are American hits, but the DJs all speak German, so it's fun trying to figure out what they're talking about.  You'll hear the words "Lady GaGa" in the middle of a thick German stream.

Christmas is huge here, but not in the way of America.  Where Americans see Christmas as a time to buy things--presents, decorations, clothing, etc., the Germans seem to enjoy the spirit of togetherness.  There are very few outdoor displays--most are simple and modest.  Religious observance seems a bit reserved, but no one is afraid to wish you a Merry Christmas.  Where America tends to be "in your face" about everything, good and bad, I'm not finding a lot of that here.  The utter lack of polarization is very refreshing. 

Beer is an interesting thing here.  First off, it's dirt cheap.  More on that in a future post.  However, I've been a little disappointed so far.  Granted, I'm only two weeks into this adventure so there will be many beers to try over the next several months.  But, I've been led to believe that Germany was the first and last word in exceptional brewing.  Not long before I left for Germany, I had stumbled upon this article which decried the decline of beer in Germany.  Americans, unhampered by ancient brewing laws, can throw anything they want into a beer, mostly for better--some for worse.  As a result, the stunning variety of beer made available to the American populace has spoiled me.

Granted, as a brewer who adheres to the simplicity of the "basic four" ingredients, I take pride in brewing beers that are fairly true to style.  However, I do have an adventurous palate, and so far, that palate has found a lot of the same in the few beers I've tried here.  They're decent, they're basic. 

They're boring.

Yet, I remain enthusiastic about the future.  Two weeks will not cement my impressions.  I'll revisit this topic in six months and we'll see where we are.

P.S.  I promise to get some pictures up here very soon.  There have been some technology "issues"--namely that I accidentally left a great deal of my technology back home on my couch when I left for O'Hare!

No comments:

Post a Comment