Pages

Friday, July 15, 2011

Dorkmunder

No, that's not a typo.

That name was coined by my dear wife when I homebrewed this style a long time ago. 

I claim it's an homage to me.

The true name of the style is Dortmunder Export, and it will be August's seasonal.  It hails from Dortmund, Germany and is one of the few lagers I brew at St. Francis.

Similar to a Pilsener, the Dortmunder Export glows in its simplicity.  Stylistically, it falls mid-way between a Helles and a Pilsener.  Less malty than the former and less hoppy than the latter.  It uses only two types of malt and is a golden color.  The goal of brewing a Dortmunder is to achieve the perfect balance of malt and hops, with neither being overpowering.

It's also my "cheater" beer.  (Though I prefer to call it ingenious strategy!)

You see, since I seldom brew lagers,  {here's why} I don't have lager yeast banked for use.  Also, you need about twice as much lager yeast as you do ale yeast.  So, I like to brew up a lager a couple of months before we celebrate Oktoberfest.  That way, the lager yeast that I pitched into the Dortmunder will multiply and I'll have plenty of lager yeast to pitch into the Oktoberfest that I'll be brewing early next month.  In fact, for the first time in SFBs history, I will be brewing two full-sized batches of Oktoberfest.  I can't wait.

Be sure to mark your calendars for September 24th and 25th, as our celebration will run all weekend long.

No comments:

Post a Comment