Pages

Thursday, May 19, 2011

B.O.S.S. P

I finally got the call yesterday. 

The cask cooler is in and nearly ready for pick-up.  I just need to have the temperature control replaced with one that will hold the cooler in the mid-50 degree range. 

Once I have it in place, it will be a relatively simple process to get everything hooked up so that we can feature cask-conditioned ales.

With that in mind, I picked up some oak spirals from Northern last week.  I also picked up some bourbon and have been soaking them:

Two oak spirals soaking in a bag of booze.

These spirals are nice because they provide a ton of surface area to impart their flavor to the beer.

Anyway, this was all in preparation to make our debut cask-conditioned ale:  Bourbon Oak Soaked Smoked Porter, or B.O.S.S.  P.

I made a robust smoked porter last week and racked some of it into a firkin along with some priming sugar and one of these spirals.  I also "accidentally" poured a little of the oaked bourbon into the firkin!

A conditioning cask.
After conditioning at room temp for a couple of weeks, I'll take it out to the World of Beer Festival on Saturday, June 4th.  This is one of Southeastern Wisconsin's oldest and best fests.  Get your tickets!

No comments:

Post a Comment