Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A Little Experimentation

Sometimes, one must reevaluate.

I like our stout.  Many of you are fans as well.

However, one of our beers has to be the slowest seller, and the stout has almost always taken that honor.

With that in mind, I tried something new today.  Our current stout is an oatmeal stout.  Today, I brewed a different type of stout called a "Milk Stout" or a "Sweet Stout".

So, what's the difference?
Well, for starters, there's no oatmeal. Oatmeal softens the mouthfeel of a stout and gives it some body. A Milk Stout uses lactose: the sugar found in milk. Lactose is only about 20% as sweet as sucrose (table sugar), and it is not as readily fermentable as other sugars, so it will add some body to the stout. It also adds a hint of sweetness.


So, in a couple of weeks, stop by and give our "Cowtipper Milk Stout" a try.  Let me or your bartender know what you think.

I can't wait!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment