Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

First Beer=First Denver Mistake

I caught the hotel shuttle to the convention center to pick up my registration passes.  I thought I would be there for a while and then I would check out some of the local watering holes.

Registration took about five minutes and I walked out of there with four bigs bags of swag!  Brewers are treated very well there.  I felt bad with the thought of calling the shuttle service just after he dropped me off, so I decided to walk back to the hotel to drop off my stuff. 

The walk was just under two miles. 

I stopped off at a convenience store right by the hotel to pick up some refreshment.  I was excited to see they had this:

Tommyknocker Maple Nut Brown Ale

So I get back to the room, drop my bags, grab a glass and crack open one of these beauties.  I tried this for the first time at The Bomb Shelter in Milwaukee and it was wonderful.

As soon as it touched my lips, I realized something was wrong.  Was it old?  It didn't taste old.  I had remembered it being more full-bodied than this.  I took a closer look at the label, and nearly shrieked in horror:

Oh good Lord!

Some quick online research told me that Colorado convenience stores cannot sell high octane brew.  I shelled out over nine bucks for a six pack which, by Wisconsin standards, is more like a three pack.

Live and learn....

After grabbing some free dinner at the hotel, I'm headed to a Brewer's reception at the Wynkoop Brewery tonight.  I will rest assured that the beer will be much better tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment